My name is Linda Jenkins, and I have been an educator for 48 years. I always knew I wanted to teach, and I have enjoyed every aspect of the profession. I have taught, High School, Middle School, and Elementary School; now, I find myself in a Kindergarten Class here at the Mount. My philosophy is “teach the person, not just the student.” This is important because not all children learn the same way. I look forward to working with your children and to watching them flourish at the Mount.
Academics in Kindergarten:
- Religion – Units 1 & 2 – God Gives Us Many Gifts & God is Our Creator.
- Science – We are focusing on our senses and our observation skills. This is accomplished by focusing on animals and plants, then comparing them to people.
- Math – We are learning numbers and their values. In addition, we are using counters to help the children solve simple addition and subtraction problems. Gus the Plus and Linus the Minus have become regular personalities during math class. Colors and shapes are part of our studies as well.
- Language Arts – The students are practicing sight words, phonics, and word recognition. They are practicing their names and their letters as well. We will be working on this for some time.
- Social Skills – We are working on manners and listening skills. Quiet time play enhances these skills, as does story time.
- Art – We include coloring and art projects corresponding to the seasons and to what we are studying.
- Specials include: Library, Art, Technology, Gym, Spanish, and Music.
- A newsletter is sent home in their folders on Fridays.
- Please return the green folders to me on Mondays, you may keep the papers and notices.
- Please feel free to contact me regarding your child’s progress.
It is going to be an amazing year!